This week’s story is a little different. It doesn’t really have a happy ending. It just has an ending.
Last spring, I was working with clients who wanted to buy a house just north of Bradford. It was a raised bungalow on a wooded lot, and it was a beautiful place. Funny enough, I remember very little about the house itself now. What happened during the negotiations has stayed with me much more clearly.
We had submitted a competitive offer and were waiting to hear back from the listing agent. Later that evening, my phone rang.
The agent wanted to know whether my clients would like to withdraw their offer.
The homeowner had suffered a heart attack.
Now, I have a fairly morbid sense of humour, and my first private thought was, I thought our offer was pretty strong. That seems like a bit of an extreme reaction.
Of course, this had absolutely nothing to do with our offer. A man was in the hospital, his family was worried, and suddenly, everyone had much more important things to think about than selling a house.
Nobody had a ready answer
The listing agent was straightforward with me. They didn’t know what would happen next.
There was discussion about whether a family member could act under a power of attorney and whether the sale might still proceed. The immediate question for my clients was whether they wanted to walk away or give the situation some time.
I hadn’t encountered anything like it before.
I called several experienced brokers I knew, hoping someone had dealt with something similar. Nobody had a definitive answer for how this particular situation would unfold. There were too many unknowns about the homeowner’s health, his wishes, and what his family would need to do.
My clients still wanted the house, so we agreed to extend the deadline for the seller to respond to our offer. That gave everyone a little breathing room while we waited for more information.
Then the situation changed again.
Another phone call
The listing agent called to tell me the homeowner had been placed in a medically induced coma.
I was hearing this second-hand, so I won’t pretend to know the medical details. What was clear was that his condition was serious, and the possibility of getting a decision about the house had become even more uncertain.
There was further discussion about his daughter potentially acting under a power of attorney. The family was also considering what his recovery might involve, whether he might need care, and what that could mean for the house.
Over roughly the next 48 hours, we stayed in touch.
Eventually, the listing agent called with a decision. The homeowner had come out of the induced coma, and he didn’t want to deal with selling the house at that time.
They were taking it off the market.
That was the end of our involvement.
My clients went on to buy another house a couple of concessions over. We didn’t wait for this one to come back on the market, and I never learned what happened afterward.
Perhaps he recovered at home and decided to stay. Perhaps the family made other arrangements. I honestly don’t know.
What stayed with me
The first lesson was personal.
Life can change very quickly. You can be making plans to sell your house one day, and the next day, your family can be trying to figure out what happens now.
Years earlier, I had spent a brief time working in insurance. That had already given me some appreciation for planning ahead, but this experience made it feel much more immediate. I started making arrangements of my own and thinking more seriously about what my family would need if something happened to me.
It’s something I encourage other people to think about, too. It’s an uncomfortable conversation, but having it while you can still make your wishes clear has real value.
The experience also reinforced how much it matters to work with agents you can trust. We each had fiduciary duties to our own clients, and we could fulfil those responsibilities while treating everyone involved with honesty and compassion.
Throughout the whole situation, the listing agent kept me informed. When circumstances changed, they called. When they didn’t have an answer, they said so.
That honesty allowed me to explain the situation to my clients and help them decide what they wanted to do. We could give the family some time while still paying attention to my clients’ interests. That professionalism mattered, even though we never completed the transaction.
You hear plenty about negotiation in real estate: getting the best price, protecting your position, and knowing when to push. Those things matter. But sometimes, a transaction calls for patience, compassion, and the judgment to recognize when people need room to deal with something bigger.
We never bought that house. I never found out how the homeowner’s story ended.
But I still remember that phone call, and how quickly an evening spent waiting for an answer to an offer became something else entirely.
